The Purpose of a Visa
The visa is an endorsement on a visa form or in a valid passport of a foreigner granting such person authority to enter the Republic of Botswana within a specific period upon examination by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
The period of stay in Botswana shall be determined by an Immigration Officer at the port of entry.
Those Who Require a Visa
All foreigners from non-Commonwealth countries are required to have a valid visa unless their countries have agreements with Botswana under which the visa requirement is waived.
Types of Visas
There are three types of Visas as follows:
- A Continuous Visa which authorizes the holder to enter the Republic of Botswana on an unlimited number of occasions within a period of twelve (12) months from the date the Visa is granted.
- A Transit Visa which authorizes the holder to pass through the Republic of Botswana in transit to some other countries and shall be valid for a period endorsed on the Visa.
- An Ordinary Visa which authorizes the holder to enter the Republic of Botswana on such number of occasions and for such periods as may be endorsed on the visa by the authorized officer.
Requirements for Visa Application
Applications for visas to enter the Republic of Botswana should include the following:
- Fully completed Immigration Supplementary Form D
- Certified copies of passport pages
- Two identical passport size photographs
- Covering letter from the host
- A copy of the host's national identity / residence permit / exemption certificate
Applicants who require visas are required to produce the following:
- A valid national passport
- A re-entry permit to the country where he is ordinarily resident
- A visa fee of ¥6,860
- No visa fee shall be charged in respect of diplomat visas issued to officers of foreign governments, the United Nations or other international organizations travelling on official businesses
Applicants need to produce the following additional documents:
- Sworn statement from the host
- Return visa or Residence Permit from the country of residence
- Business profile if he is coming to establish a business
- A copy of hotel / lodge bookings
For an Employment Visa, applicants will need to produce:
- Waiver from the Department of Labour and Social Security of copies of Work and Residence Permits
For a Tourist Visa, applicants will need to produce:
- Tourist plan
- Confirmation of bookings at hotels or lodges
| VISA APPLICATION FORM (PDF) |