What is a National Identity Card?

It is a  document that is used to show that one is a citizen of the Republic of Botswana. It is a requirement by the law that every Motswana above the age of 16 has one. This card is commonly known as Omang.



Who qualifies for this service?

Every citizen of Botswana above the age of 16.



What do I need to apply for the service?

  • Yourself.
  • Birth Registration certificate.

If you do not have a birth certificate:


  • Yourself.
  • Both or one of your parents or a guardian or a relative if you are a minor.
  • An Affidavit in lieu of a Birth Certificate.
  • An Affidavit from the Chief or Headman.
  • Any other proof of records (e.g. school transcripts).



How much does it cost to apply for Omang?

The first issue of application is free.

A fee of P5.00/ JPY50 is paid for ;

  • an expired identity cards (after 10 years)
  • an application due to change of name


A fee of P110.00/JPY1,100 is paid for;

  • a lost, destroyed/damaged identity card.


A National Identity Card is valid for 10 years. In case of replacements, the old card should be surrendered to the Civil and National Registration Officer.



How do I apply for Omang when I have naturalized citizenship?

Bring Citizenship Registration certificate.

NB: The Registrar may require any other information that s/he may deem necessary to prove a person’s qualification for registration.



Where can I apply for my National Identity Card?

Applications can be done at Botswana Embassy in Japan.



How long does it take to get the Omang ready?

14 days



Can one send someone else to collect him/her Omang?

It is not allowed to collect another person’s card unless where there are convincing reasons for which one is obliged to authorize, in writing, someone to collect an ID on their behalf. The individual will also sign a proxy form.



Where can I get the forms for Omang?

Omang forms are issued during the application process because these are security documents.


Embassy of Botswana

6F, EDGE Shiba Yonchome Bldg, 4-5-10 Shiba, Minato-ku Tokyo, Japan

Tel: 81-3-5440-5676
Fax: 81-3-5765-7581

Registration of Nationals